This is a list of my Top 7 Immune system booster vitamins, along with all the information on how each vitamin works to support your Immune system. Along with this list are articles by a variety of experts including Dr. Mercola and on each of the linked articles, all scientific studies are referenced at the bottom of those articles. All supplements in this article are vegan and vegetarian friendly!
Its important to remember analyzing health in a vacuum is never a good idea! A whole body approach that factors in a persons unique biology / genetics, nutritional requirements and medical history, is always going to provide the best results. That is why professionals exist because they can preform blood or GI tract tests, analyze health history and provide a more complete health profile, from which to recommend nutrition. That being said these vitamins will benefit anyone and everyone, that is not already supplementing adequate levels of them into their diet. Let’s first understand the components of the immune system:
Top 7 Immune system booster vitamins | INDEX
- Top 7 Immune system booster vitamins | INDEX
- What makes up the immune system?
- How does the immune system work
- 1. Probiotics | The immune system is the student and the gut is the teacher
- 2. Astaxanthin | anti-oxidant 6000x more powerful than Vitamin C | used by Olympic athletes | Immune system booster vitamins
- 3. Vitamin D3 with Vitamin K2 and Magnesium | Vitamin D deficiency is a worldwide epidemic | Immune system booster vitamins
- 4. B Vitamins | Vitamin B Complex | B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9 & B12
- 5. Zinc with Selenium and Copper | Immune system booster vitamins
- 6. Vitamin C | Anti-oxidant and collagen producer | Immune system booster vitamins
- 7. Chaga Mushroom Fungus | Immune system booster vitamins
- Free Radicals – Free radicals are highly reactive and unstable molecules that are produced in the body naturally as a byproduct of metabolism (oxidation), or by exposure to toxins in the environment such as tobacco smoke and ultraviolet light. Read more into depth in THIS ARTICLE
- Anti-oxidants – a substance (such as beta-carotene or vitamin C) that inhibits oxidation or reactions promoted by oxygen, peroxides, or free radicals. Antioxidants can neutralize the unstable molecules, reducing the risk of damage.
What makes up the immune system?
- The organs that produce armies of white blood cells
- Lymphatic systems that circulate those troops
- The antigens and antibodies your system makes after taking on viruses and other threats
- Your gut microbiome, which scientists are finding plays a critical role in immunity
How does the immune system work
1. Probiotics | The immune system is the student and the gut is the teacher
My Favorite: Genuine Health Advanced Gut Health Probiotics, 50 Billion CFU, Extra Strength, Vegan
USA / Americans Buy Here
“A huge proportion of your immune system is actually in your GI tract,” said Dan Peterson, assistant professor of pathology at Johns Hopkins University School. In fact about 70% of the immune system is housed within the gut wall. When the gut microorganisms sense the presence of a particular type of bacteria, they excrete compounds into the gut that trigger your body’s immune response. Since approximately 90% of known pathogens enter the body through the gastrointestinal tract, it makes sense that the vast majority of the immune system would be located here.
The key is to maintain a balance of the healthy gut bacteria, bacteria which are formed as a direct result to what we eat. If you can alter your diet with healthy foods GREAT! If you can’t adjust your diet adequately, or you want to maximize your gut health, Probiotics are key to a healthy Immune system!
2. Astaxanthin | anti-oxidant 6000x more powerful than Vitamin C | used by Olympic athletes | Immune system booster vitamins
Astaxanthin dubbed “The King of the Carotenoids” is one of the most powerful antioxidants in the world, to scavenge dangerous free radicals, and reduce inflammation. In fact Astaxanthin has up to 6000x the power of other well known anti-oxidants. Most antioxidants can’t cross the blood brain barrier to your brain, nervous system and eyes. But astaxanthin slips through cell membranes, to easily take effect where its needed in your brain, eyes, heard, muscles, legs, joints, skin & more; making it particularly powerful.
Astaxanthin is more powerful by: 6000x vitamin C, 800x CoQ10, 500x Vitamin E, 10x beta-carotene & 4x Lutein! Astaxanthin benefits cellular energy production, reduced oxidative damage to mitochondria and cellular DNA, healthy inflammatory response (for flexibility and mobility), immune function, cellular health, brain neuron protection, production of neural stem cells, cognitive function including age-related cognitive decline, eye health, skin elasticity / youthful appearance, healthy blood lipid levels, arteries, blood flow, LDL cholesterol levels and more!
Astaxanthin is even used by Olympic athletes! A 6 month test on teens showed 4mg/day increases strength and endurance by 62%. Another study on professional cyclists on 4mg/day over 4 weeks, displayed on average 5% increased speed. In addition, their power output increased by 15%. Astaxanthin reduces muscle fatigue, Improves energy metabolism, increases strength and reduces free radicals!
3. Vitamin D3 with Vitamin K2 and Magnesium | Vitamin D deficiency is a worldwide epidemic | Immune system booster vitamins
My Favorite: Whole Earth & Sea Pure Food Vitamin D3 and Bioabsorb Nutraceuticals Magnesium Bisglycinate/Glycinate 260
Favorite American Brand NatureGenx – Vitamin ADK 10 – Dr Formulated, Double Strength 10000 iu, High Potency Vitamins A, D3 (10,000 iu), K2 (as MK-7),
It is estimated that up to 85 percent of people worldwide, have insufficient levels of vitamin D. Vitamin D has a clear effect on your innate immune system, which is your first line of defense against bacteria and viruses, as well as your adaptive immune system, which involves your T regulatory helper and suppressor cells, and natural killer cells according to Dr. Wagner. There are about 30,000 genes in your body, and vitamin D affects nearly 3,000 of them, as well as vitamin D receptors located throughout your body. It’s proven that Vitamin D is VITAL for immune system function and plays a key role in disease prevention.
- Vitamin D3 is 87% more effective then Vitamin D2 at restoring health Vitamin D levels in the body
- Optimal vitamin D levels can slash your risk of cancer and can help prevent at least 16 different types of cancer, including: pancreatic, lung, ovarian, prostate and skin cancers.
- Vitamin D can reduce risk of autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS) and Type 1 diabetes
- Most people are deficient in Vitamin K2 especially Vegans and Vegetarians. Vitamin K2 deficiency is connected to vitamin D toxicity symptoms, including excessive calcification that can contribute to the hardening of your arteries.
- Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 Ratio: For every 1,000 IUs of vitamin D, you can benefit from about 100 to 200 micrograms of vitamin K2.
- Over half the population is deficient in Magnesium and magnesium helps to activate vitamin D, as the enzymes that metabolize vitamin D in your liver and kidneys require magnesium.
- Those who do not take supplemental magnesium need, on average, 146% more vitamin D per day to achieve a healthy vitamin D blood level.
- Vitamin D & Magnesium Ratio: For every 1,000 IUs of vitamin D, you can benefit from a minimum 400mg of Magnesium.
4. B Vitamins | Vitamin B Complex | B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9 & B12
B Stands for Boost! B Vitamins work together synergistically (benefit each other). Combined foods containing all the B vitamins, or take a full spectrum B Vitamin complex, to obtain maximum effect.
My Favorite: AOR – Advanced B Complex 180 Capsules – Biologically Active Full-Spectrum B-Complex
USA / Americans Buy Here
- B vitamins are involved in the activation of both the innate and adaptive immune responses.
- B vitamins that boost your immunity include: vitamin B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid) and B7 (biotin).
- Vitamin B9 and folic acid help repair tissues and aid in cell metabolism and immune support.
- Vitamin B12 cobalamin is a powerful flu and cold fighting nutrient. Vitamin B6 combats germs to naturally strengthen your immune system and helps mitigate air pollution and its detrimental effects on the body.
- B Vitamins important roles in cell functioning, energy metabolism and proper immune function, and can play important roles in minimizing your risk of cytokine storm (an immune system overreaction known to occur in COVID-19 patients.)
- B Vitamin is particularly powerful in regulating the immune system against covid. “You can think of the immune system as an army. Its job is to protect the body. But if the immune system army isn’t well-regulated, it can overreact and actually cause more damage — this overreaction is what often happens in COVID-19 and is referred to as the cytokine storm. Cytokines are inflammatory molecules released by immune cells. They are like the weapons of the immune system army. So, if immune cells are soldiers, cytokines are guns and grenades. And in a poorly regulated immune system, the body’s cytokine storm induced by COVID cause lots of inflammation in the body, just as if little grenades were being tossed around. This is what causes the worst outcomes and death in COVID.” –Dr. Uma Naidoo–Dr. Uma Naidoo
5. Zinc with Selenium and Copper | Immune system booster vitamins
My favorite: AOR – Zinc-Copper Balance 100s Capsules and Naka Platinum SELENIUM (Selenomethionine) Extra Strength 200 mcg
Favorite American Brand Bulletproof Zinc with Copper and Life Extension Super Selenium Complex Capsules, 200 mcg
Recommended Dosage: 11mg for adult men & 8mg for adult women or slightly higher if pregnant or breastfeeding. Take with 1mg of copper per 15mg of Zinc taken. To prevent against COVID-19 7mg-15mg four times daily on an empty stomach.
- Zinc is crucial for healthy immune function, It helps to regulate your immune function.
- Zinc is a second messenger of immune cells, and intracellular free zinc in these cells participate in signaling events
- Zinc balances immune responses and also has a proven direct antiviral action against some viruses.” As mentioned, zinc’s primary antiviral action is to impair viral replication inside the cell. Dr. John Campbell Research
- Zinc not only modulates cell-mediated immunity but is also an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Maintain a healthy Zinc-Copper ratio, with supplementation well below 150 mg/d of Zinc. More is not necessarily better!
- Zinc deficiency impairs immune function.
- Zinc deficiency frequently occurs in elderly patients and in those with cardiovascular disease, chronic pulmonary disease, or diabetes.
- Zinc prevents viral replication inside your cells
- Zinc along with a zinc ionophore (such as EGCG or quercetin) can potentially help lower the viral load and prevent your immune system from becoming overloaded.
- EGCG, Quercetin, Niacin (vitamin B3) and selenium also improve the absorption and bioavailability of zinc
- Besides direct antiviral effects, CQ/HCQ [chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine] specifically target extracellular zinc to intracellular lysosomes where it interferes with RNA-dependent RNA polymerase activity and coronavirus replication.
Zinc an Immune system booster against covid
- Zinc Deficiency Linked to Poor COVID-19 Outcomes “Amongst the COVID-19 patients, 27 (57.4%) were found to be zinc deficient. These patients were found to have higher rates of complications, acute respiratory distress syndrome (18.5% vs 0%), corticosteroid therapy, prolonged hospital stay, and increased mortality (18.5% vs 0%). The odds ratio (OR) of developing complications was 5.54 for zinc deficient COVID-19 patients…70.4% of zinc deficient patients developed complications, only 30% of those with sufficient levels developed complications”
- “Patients who had low zinc levels upon admission were found to have higher levels of inflammation during the course of their illness, and they were also more likely to die from complications related to COVID-19. As reported by Medical Xpress”
- “Each unit increase of plasma zinc at admission to hospital was associated with a 7% reduced risk of in-hospital mortality. Having a plasma zinc level lower than 50 mcg/dl at admission was associated with a 2.3 times increased risk of in-hospital death compared with those patients with a plasma zinc level of 50 mcg/dl or higher.”
- Among the most effective treatment protocols for COVID-19 is the MATH+ Protocol, developed by the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Working Group25 (FLCCC). Zinc is one of the central components of this protocol which also includes also includes the use of quercetin to facilitate zinc uptake.
Selenium | Just as important as Zinc
- Serves as your first line of defense against free radicals
- Most diets simply don’t have sufficient selenium
- Supports cardiovascular health, brain and cognitive health, thyroid health, vision and eye health, bone strength and cellular health through free radical savaging
- Helps fight stress in your body and a reduces risk for chronic illness
- Selenium-enriched yeast has proved to be the most effective form because it includes methylselenocysteine
6. Vitamin C | Anti-oxidant and collagen producer | Immune system booster vitamins
My Favorite: Naka Platinum Nutri C Complex Liquid Superior Absorption Formula
Favorite American Brand Garden of Life Vitamin C – Vitamin Code Raw Vitamin C – 120 Vegan Capsules
- Vitamin C works as an antioxidant, antihistamine and enzyme cofactor for collagen, neurotransmitters, hormones and carnitine.
- Vitamin C in high doses can be particularly effective for: infections, inflammation, sepsis, critical care, trauma, surgery, burns, allergies, whooping cough, vaccine reactions, vascular integrity.
- According to Dr. Humphries medical literature also support Vitamin C for: polio, acute hepatitis, Viral encephalitis, Acute rheumatic fever, toxic mushroom poising, ebola nd other hemorrhagic diseases, tuberculosis and infection mononucleosis.
7. Chaga Mushroom Fungus | Immune system booster vitamins
My Favorite: 5 Defenders Organic Mushroom Extract Blend (90caps) Chaga, Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake & Turkey Tail Mushroom Supplements, 45-Day Supply of Mushroom Supplement Capsules for Immune Support, No Fillers
USA / Americans Buy Here
- The botanical name for Chaga is Inonotus obliquus
- Chaga studies show it supports your immune system and reduces inflammation
- Chaga Demonstrates Antiviral Properties
- Can positively impact digestion, respiration and detoxification
- Polysaccharides in Chaga May Help Control Blood Glucose
- Chaga appears to have in vitro and in vivo effects against tumor cells in animals indirectly by stimulating the immune system.
Video by founder of Real Mushrooms aka Nammex (brand linked above)
Real Mushrooms Founder Video (link to product above)
Dr. Mercola B vitamins