Important Vitamins for Vegans and Vegetarians | Top 5
A list of Important Vitamins for Vegans. My top 5 Vitamins for Vegans and Vegetarians and links to the vegan supplements I use daily.
Written by a 5 Year Vegan
- Vitamin B12 https://amzn.to/36GbB0C
- Omega Essential Fatty Acids | Omega 3-6-9 https://amzn.to/36HXmbM
- Calcium (Take with Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2) https://amzn.to/3gimdWY
- Probiotics https://amzn.to/3qtfuhv
- Vitamin D with Vitamin K2 https://amzn.to/3ombIog
references and studies cited at bottom of page
Important Vitamins for Vegans #1
1. Vitamin B12 Sublingual
What do I use? AOR – Methyl B12
- The body does not store b12 so it must be taken daily
- B12 is absorbed in the small intestine
- Generally Vitamin B12 is obtained from meat products, but B12 is only present in meat products, due to contamination with intestinal bacteria
- Salivary glands make haptocorrin which binds b12 while chewing and protects it from stomach acid so it can make it to the small intestine
- When you take a supplement that protective process doesn’t occur, so most of a B12 supplement, can be lost in digestion
- Therefore sublingual Vitamin B12 (under the tongue) is the best method for the body to absorb Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause serious health issues so please make sure you take it daily if on a vegan or vegetarian diet
Important Vitamins for Vegans #2
2. Omega Essential Fatty Acids | Omega 3-6-9
What do I use? Nordic Natural Algae Omega (highest rated by labdoor.com independent testing)
- Generally you obtain Omega 3 from fish or krill and Omega 6 from processed foods or vegetable oils, so a vegan or vegetarian diet may lack both Omega 3 and Omega 6
- The ideal ratio of Omega 3-6 is 1:1 (equal amounts)
- Most people get too much Omega 6 due to its presence in processed foods or vegetable oils, and not enough Omega 3
- Too much omega 6 and not enough Omega 3 can lead to chronic inflammation so an ideal 1:1 ratio is key to good health
- Scientific studies support benefits of omega 3s for 254 different diseases
- Omega 3 (in the proper ratio) can benefit , cognitive function, immune system, mood, inflammation, bone health, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, diabetes, gallstones, lupus, autoimmune diseases, premature birth, postpartum depression, Cancer, multiple sclerosis, join stiffness from rheumatoid arthritis and more
- DHA & EPA are better then ALA so look for Omega supplements that contain high DHA and EPA if possible.
Important Vitamins for Vegans #3
3. Calcium (Take with Vitamin B3 and Vitamin K2)
What do I use? SMNutrition Calcium D Glucarate
- Calcium is generally Obtained from Milk and dairy products so vegans and vegetarians may be deficient
- Most people are deficient in Vitamin K2 which prevents coronary calcification and is required to bind calcium into the matrix of your bone.
- Calcium without sufficient Vitamin D levels may actually encourage heart disease. And with most people being indoors now a days many people are deficient in Vitamin D
- Therefore Calcium MUST be taken in a supplement that includes Vitamin D3 or K2 or be taken with D3 and K2 supplements.
- Important for bone/teeth health, muscle function, nerve signals and heart health
- Can get in fortified almond milk but adding a supplement to ensure adequate calcium levels is important
- Vegetarians can also get calcium from things like broccoli, chickpeas & chia seeds
Important Vitamins for Vegans #4
What do I use? Genuine Health Advanced Gut Health Probiotics
- Also known as good bacteria Probiotics live in your Gut | Your gut is your second brain Dr. Mercola
- The quality, quantity and composition of the bacteria in your gut have enormous influence on your brain and overall health. Your gut plays a key role in your mental health, stress and neurological diseases –Dr. Mercola
- 200 million neurons in the gut produce 95% of serotonin a brain chemical associated with emotional well-being
- Your gut bacteria is closely related to your immune system. A good gut microbiome ensures a strong immune system.
- Can benefit depression, anxiety, stress, weight, blood sugar levels, blood pressure, inflammation, immune system & more
- Research has shown certain strains can positively affect your digestive system, mental health, immune system response and inflammation management
- Important strains to look for include Lactobacillus acidophilus and plantarum, and Bifidobacterium lactis, longum and bifidum
- Best taken 2hrs before or after your last meal of the day (I usually take mine right before I head to bed)
Important Vitamins for Vegans #5
5. Vitamin D with Vitamin K2 (1,000 IU Vitamin D to 100-200mcg K2)
What do I use? Naka Platinum D3+K2 and Bioabsorb Nutraceuticals Magnesium Bisglycinate/Glycinate 260
- Vitamin D deficiency is a worldwide epidemic in the modern age, due to people spending most of their time indoors both for work and leisure. It is estimated that up to 85 percent of people have insufficient levels of vitamin D.
- Vitamin D is VITAL for immune system function and plays a key role in disease prevention
- Vitamin D3 is 87% more effective then Vitamin D2 at restoring health Vitamin D levels in the body
- Ratio For every 1,000 IUs of vitamin D, you can benefit from about 100 to 200 micrograms of vitamin K2.
- Known Benefits Vitamin D can also help with type 2 diabetes, chronic inflammation, age-related macular degeneration (the leading cause of blindness), and Alzheimer’s disease. Vitamin D also exhibits its infection-fighting abilities in the treatment of tuberculosis, pneumonia, colds, and flu. It can also improve seizure control in epileptics.
- Always take Vitamin D with Vitamin K2 Why? Because Vitamin K2 deficiency is connected to vitamin D toxicity symptoms, which includes excessive calcification that can contribute to the hardening of your arteries.
- Over half the population is deficient in Magnesium and magnesium helps to activate vitamin D, as the enzymes that metabolize vitamin D in your liver and kidneys require magnesium.
- Signs of Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Why does meat have Vitamin B12
- How Vitamin B12 is absorbed by the body
- All you need to Know about Omega Essential Fatty Acids Dr. Mercola
- Calcium Supplementation Dr. Mercola
- Probiotics The Gut is your Second Brain Dr. Mercola
- Probiotic Benefits Dr. Mercola
- The epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency Dr. Mercola
- All about Vitamin D Dr. Mercola
Leave a Reply